1st Place
3D Hubs Gillette Razor
Design Challenge

Objective: To design a 3D-printable razor that fits the Gillette razor blade assembly.

This project was my entry to a contest hosted by Gillette and 3D Hubs. The objective of the competition was to design a 3D-printable razor handle compatible with Gillette Mach 3 razor heads.

Hollow rail center provides grip for fingers without a need for another material for simpler manufacture.

Gillette Mach 3 Assembly for razor head compatibility.

Side ridges allow pinch grip for precision shaving.

Product Features

I analyzed existing products to find common characteristics, materials and key design points to aid my understanding of razors.

Scale and Ergonomics

I measured and held currently existing models to gain some insights on various ergonomic  configurations and scales. This also helped my understanding of balance and proportion in a razor.

Manufacturing Investigation

Another consideration I thought to be important was the manufacturing aspect of the project. Since it was explicitly stated in the brief that the razor was to be 3D-printed, I thought I would investigate large-scale additive manufacturing processes for realism.


  • Most Common Process

  • High accuracy

  • Best surface detail

  • Limited material choices (Resins)

  • High cost

  • Eliminates tooling

  • Energy intensive


  • Variety of metals and plastics

  • High-strength, low-weight parts

  • High costs

  • No Tooling

  • Slight surface roughness

  • Low material waste

  • No need for support structures

  • Slow


  • Not widely used on mass scale

  • Faster and cheaper than SLS and SLA

  • Low accuracy

  • Limited material choices (thermoplastics)

  • Eliminates tooling

I investigated the common additive manufacturing processes to see what the strengths and weaknesses of the processes were. This would allow me to make design choices to ease manufacturing if the design were to theoretically be mass manufactured. From my own knowledge I new that 3D printing allowed for very complex geometry, a high level of detail, and eliminated tooling. From my research I made several findings. 

After conducting all of my research and analysis data, I did a series of ideation sketches to try and distill all of the useful information I found into a design.



Originally I tried a design with holes going horizontally through the body for grip. After printing that model I decided to return to the design with the vertical hole. Once I finished that design in Solidworks I printed it using a Stratasys Dimension 1200 FDM printer. I originally tried to print the razor along with the razor head connector assembly provided by Gillette, but it came out in broken layers (seen in one of the pictures above), so I had to print them separately. In the end, I was happy with the results of my ergonomics and form research, as the razor felt good in the hand. The integrity of the print was also good, as I still use the print I submitted for the contest as my own razor. As my prize for first place, 3D Hubs sent me an SLS printed metal print of my submission.

After doing my sketches I proceeded to create the designs I liked in Solidworks. I went through two designs based off of my sketches and research. The first one failed, so with further refinement my second idea became my final design.

3D Printing

Throughout this project I conducted research in several ways. I looked at existing Gillette products for brand language, purchased and analyzed several existing razors, and researched additive manufacturing to understand the limitations of the process.